Detox Diets and All That Crap
Are you full of crap? If you eat like the average westernised person, I’m guessing you are.
Food being digested in a person that eats a healthy diet should take between 18 to 24 hours. But digestion of unhealthy meals, or meals that are combined poorly, takes 50 hours or more.
Something is wrong if you’re not having a bowel movement at least once a day.
This surprises most westernised people because to them, having a bowel movement every 2 to 3 days is considered entirely normal. It is only because of the junk that westernised people eat that make them not poop as often as they should. They are full of crap.
In his book, The Science and the Practice of Iridology, Dr. Bernard Jensen says that,
The bowel is probably the root of most of our trouble and it is there we can almost always find the greatest amount of toxic material.
The bowel seems to be the centre of importance in the body and when it is clean and in a healthy condition other organs are, as a rule, healthy.
A toxic intestine acts as a seat of infection, throwing out its toxins into the blood stream, and thus infecting other parts of the body.
Infection in the body can be fed directly from the intestinal tract.
In fact, in days of old, the first question your GP would ask you on consultation, was how many bowel movements you were having. Whether you were constipated or not was a significant indication of your overall state of health.
Neville Mandy, who wrote Disease Free, shows a diagram of a colon encrusted with hard fecal matter that had collected from 20 years of meals! That means illness, disease and weight gain. You can only imagine what 20 years of congested food does to a body.
The more natural plant-based whole foods you consume, the easier it is for your body to digest. But if you’re mixing it up, with junk foods like pizza and burgers, white sugars and processed, heated oils, the harder it is for your body to digest, and this is what causes the hard fecal matter to collect around your colon and make you prone to all sorts of nasties.
Wikipedia explains the kind of detoxing I want to talk about today as,
…the physiological or medicinal removal of toxic substances from a living organism, including, but not limited to, the human body, which is mainly carried out by the liver.
Dr Ben Kim explains further that there are two main types of toxins that our bodies gather over time. These are:
- Environmental toxins that are made outside of your body, like pollutants, chemicals, pesticides, medications, etc.
- Metabolic toxins which are made inside the body.
Now, the body works constantly to rid your body of toxins. When this happens, the toxins that are gathered from your cells break down in your liver, and are then kicked out your body through your colon, kidneys, lungs, skin, nose, ears, penis or vagina.
In other words, when you have a bowel movement, urinate, exhale, cough, sneeze, your body is busy ridding your body of toxins.
Types of Detox Diets (Get Rid of the Crap)
There are so many types of detoxes. It all depends on what you want to achieve. For instance, you could simply remove all processed foods for a time. Or you could do a parasite cleanse by taking specific herbal cleansers which work to get rid of parasites.
One of the most popular detoxes is Michael Mosley’s “Fast Diet”. You need to choose the detox diet that is right for you, and which you feel you can comfortably stick to.
Some people are nervous about detoxes and fasting, and that’s OK – for those people, I would recommend making slower lifestyle changes, like cutting out sugar or processed foods, or even to start with exercising.
The following detox programs are the safest and most effective:
1. Meat and wheat free detox diet
- Don’t eat any animal products at all for at least a week but aim for two. Have a smoothie for breakfast with fresh fruit and nuts to help make you feel full.
- Eat fruit anytime you want
- Have a large green salad for lunch and supper followed by baked potato, gluten-free pasta, sweet potato, brown rice or any other natural carbohydrate that does not contain wheat.
2. All raw detox diet
- Have any and as much raw fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and seeds and dried fruit (make sure the dried fruit is preservative-free) as you want, all day.
- This diet can be followed forever, but if you just want to detox, do it for at least 7-14 days. Many people who have been gravely ill have switched to an all-raw diet and recovered completely. Some have even resorted to a raw food diet instead of conventional treatments like chemotherapy, and recovered fully without the side effects of chemotherapy. Eating a 100% raw food diet is incredibly powerful and beneficial for your body.
3. One-type fruit diet
- Choose one kind of fresh fruit. A watery fruit like watermelon, grapes and apples are excellent.
- Eat that one fruit only for a minimum of 3 days.
- If you want, you can swap to another fruit and eat only that for another 3 days.
- Can be done safely for 2 weeks.
4. Fresh juice detox diet
- Drink only freshly extracted fruit and vegetable juices a minimum of 3 times a day for up to 7 days.
5. Fasting diet
- Drink only water for 24 hours or 3 days.
- Make sure you do this one when you are able to rest.
- During a fast, it is good to be quiet and allow the spirit and soul to be at peace also.
For any of these detox diet options, make sure you eat until you feel satisfied. Do not deprive yourself of amounts.
If you are nervous or on any medication, I would advise you to consult your doctor before trying any of these detox diet programs.
When you do a detox, it’s important to exercise – even if it’s simply a gentle stroll – for at least 20 minutes a day, and get lots of fresh air and natural sunlight.
Products to help you Cleanse Faster
Only use 100% natural products containing herbs and organic foods. Good choices are:
- The greens: wheat grass, barley grass.
- The good fats: essential fatty acids (omega 3, 6 and 9).
- Powdered veggies: organic veggies like carrots and beets that have been dried and powdered.
- Cleansing herbs: dried and powdered herbs that cleanse the colon.
- Parasite cleansing herbs: dried and powdered herbs that work to rid the body of parasites.
- Environmental cleansers.
Benefits of Detoxing
The benefits of a detox diet will largely depend on how long you detox for, and which program you choose to follow. The longer you detox, the more you help your body to rid itself of toxins.
The actual body, the soul and the spirit can benefit from a detox.
You’re going to notice the benefits most in the body. Organs most affected by toxins like the liver and stomach, will start working better. Once you’ve completed your detox, you may feel lighter and more energetic. More benefits include:
- Immune system will be stronger.
- Decreased risk of getting cancer and other big
- Better circulation.
- Better sleep.
- Better concentration.
- Better digestion.
- Weight loss.
- Clearer skin.
- Emotional healing.
These are just a few of the major benefits, but trust me, there are way more.
Detox Symptoms (When the Crap Hits the Fan)
It largely depends on which detox you do, and the length. For instance, if you do a parasite cleanse only, your symptoms are going to be different, e.g., you may feel a crawling sensation which is a sign that the parasites are dislodging.
Bear in mind that all these symptoms pass, and the worst symptoms are usually experienced between days 2 and 7. Symptoms are an indication of the body working to rid itself of toxins.
Common detox symptoms are:
- Skin breakouts.
- Stomach pains and bloating.
- An old pain flare-up.
- Loss of appetite.
- Cold and flu symptoms.
- Food cravings.
- Sleeping issues, insomnia, dreaming/nightmares.
- Diarrhoea and constipation.
- Fatigue, drowsiness, low energy levels.
- Emotionally sensitive.
The longer you detox, the more your body works to eliminate toxins. If you follow a detox program for longer than a couple of days, it is advisable you don’t start eating normally immediately, but rather in small doses.
For instance, if you do a 7 day juice fast, don’t end it by having a chicken burger because you are likely to get horribly sick. Rather end your detox by eating fruit and then salad for another meal, with a baked potato. Add meat a few days later, and only a little to “test the waters”.
Please consult with your doctor before attempting a detox program if:
- You are on medication.
- You are pregnant.
- You have a chronic condition.
The Final Word on all that Crap
I know of someone who had a serious food addiction and as a result, was classified as obese. Because of what she put into her body for years (processed junk food), she was a prime candidate for contracting one of the major diseases. The fact that she didn’t, I think can be attributed largely to her having done many detoxes which gave her body a break from all the crap she was feeding it, and helped provide healing to parts of her system that were being damaged from all the processed food she was used to consuming.
If you can, do your body a favour and give it a break. It will thank you.